Tuesday, February 4, 2014

The Avengers - Bias

Hi, my name is Kevin, and I hate The Avengers.

Now, for some reason this movie was pretty popular despite getting (less than perfect reviews from critics) so I feel safe saying that I'm in the minority opinion here. If that's the case, then my defense of my hatred of this movie should be airtight. With that in mind, let me declare my biases:

1) I don't like Joss Whedon: I think I have legitimate reasons, and can argue them, that Joss Whedon is not a good writer. I'll get into later, but it is true that when I heard he was signed on to write and direct I was definitely disappointed.

2) I really wanted this movie to be good: I am a comic book fan, and I'm able to separate my love for the comics from the movies, but I always want to like these movies.

3) I am a bigger fan of some characters than others: When watching and critiquing this movie, sometimes this works in its favor and sometimes it works against it. For example, when I start talking about characterization, I'm largely pleased with what happened with Black Widow, because I had zero hopes or expectations for her, but I'm largely (and very) disappointed with the bad or lacking characterization of Captain America and Hawkeye, because I know a lot about those characters and I'm always going to compare the movie versions with what they could have been.

4) I know that Joss Whedon reads and writes comics: I hesitate calling this a bias, but it does change my approximation of the movie knowing that Whedon is a part of the comic book world. I want to mention this again when we talk about consistency in comic book movies.

Another thing I wanted to talk about is why I'm writing about this, and there's a couple reasons for that too.

1) Talking about bad movies and why they're bad helps us appreciate good movies: Hearing an explanation about why The Phantom Menace was bad helped me appreciate The Empire Strikes back a lot more, and, actually, all other movies. (Not coincidentally, Mike Stolska, the guy that made these reviews, is a huge Star Wars fan, wanted this movie to be good, and not a big fan of the writer as well. There might be something to the fact that people that like a certain type of movie can get really angry when they don't turn out well.)

2) This movie was really popular and that makes me angry: Are the type of person who ever complained about Justin Beiber or Twilight when they got popular? You knew that shit was bad and the fact that it became really popular made you hate it more? Well, guess what? I am that person too.

3) Superheroes are big money now: We're getting more and more superhero movies as time goes by, and I think we should start considering them to be their own category of movie (if they're not already). If that's the case, we need to start talking and thinking about what makes a good superhero movie, and a good place to start is talking about failures.

4) Not a week of my life goes by where I don't think about how much I hate The Avengers: Seriously, I have to write it down and get it out of my brain before I die from stress.
Post a Comment